Charles N. Nauen
Charles N. Nauen leads the firm's environmental law practice representing clients in litigation arising under a variety of environmental laws. Mr. Nauen also leads the firm's commercial litigation practice and the campaign finance and election law practice. Mr. Nauen was co-lead counsel for Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton in the 2010 gubernatorial election recount and he represented the "Nauen 61" individual voters in an effort to have their absentee ballots counted in connection with the 2008 senatorial election recount. He serves on the governing council of the Environment, Natural Resources, and Energy Section of the Minnesota Bar Association, is a past chair of the Hennepin County Bar Association's Environmental Law Section, and has been a "Super Lawyer" since 1994.
Mr. Nauen was named a 2011 Attorney of the Year by Minnesota Lawyer.
- Miller & Graham v. Ramsey County Sheriff Matthew Bostrom & County of Ramsey, No. 11-cv-2401 (D. Minn.). Represented defendants against claims of First Amendment retaliatory discharge by two former Ramsey County Sheriff's deputies. Obtained dismissal of Ramsey County and successfully defended Sheriff Bostrom in a jury trial in federal court.
- Minnesota Public Radio v. Metropolitan Council, No. 62-CV-10-988 (Ramsey Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- AgStar Financial Services v. LOL Finance Company and 4 Square Cattle Services, No. 62-CV-10-9789 (Ramsey Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- Regents of the University of Minnesota v. Metropolitan Council, No. 27-09-23445 (Hennepin Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- Dennis Peterson, et al. v. Mark Ritchie, et al., No. 62-09-56 (Ramsey Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- Continental Property Group v. City of Minneapolis, No. 27-CV-07-5826 (Hennepin Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- Nerland v. Caribou Coffee Company, Inc., No. 05-1847 (D. Minn.)
- City of Minneapolis v. Ames & Fischer, No. CT-04-016998 (Hennepin Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- Danny's Trannys v. State of Minnesota, No. C7-00-5714 (Ramsey Cty. Dist Ct.)
- KK Motors, et al. v. Brunswick Corp., No. 98-2307 (D. Minn.)
- NAACP v. Metropolitan Council, 144 F.3d 1168 (8th Cir. 1998), cert. denied, 119 S.Ct. 73 (1998)
- Ben Oehrleins & Sons & Daughter v. Hennepin County, 115 F.3d 1372 (8th Cir. 1997), cert. denied, 118 S.Ct. 629 (1997)
- Robinson Rubber Products Co., Inc. v. Hennepin County, No. 4-95-220 (D. Minn.)
- United States v. Oak Grove Sanitary Landfill Site Trust, No. 4-92-985 (D. Minn.)
Mr. Nauen has served as an adjunct professor of environmental law at the University of Minnesota Law School since 1991.
- The Basics of Environmental Review, Minnesota Environmental Institute, 4/23/09
- The Future of Environmental Review and Environmental Rights in Minnesota, Minnesota Environmental Institute, 4/19/07
- Panelist on Freeman Lecture Forum, Water, Water, Everywhere? 4/8/08
- Hennepin County Bar Association (Environmental Law, Civil Litigation, and Mediation and Arbitration Sections), Environmental Law Section Co-Chair (1999-2010)
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association (Environmental, Natural Resources and Energy Law, Civil Litigation, and Antitrust Sections), Council Member, Environment, Natural Resources and Energy Law Section Council (2004-present)
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association (Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources, Antitrust and Trade Regulation, and Federal Litigation Sections)
- United Jewish Fund & Council (St. Paul): Campaign Chair (2012); Men's Division Chair, (2008/2009) Annual Campaign; Member, Board of Directors (2009-present)
- Mount Zion Temple, Board Member (2011-present)
- Cardozo Society Annual Dinner Co-Chair (2010)
- One of 130 lawyers and jurists from around the world invited to a conference hosted by the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs in September 2010. He and Andrew Parker, a fellow attendee from the Twin Cities, make presentations throughout the community discussing their visit to Israel and efforts to combat the world-wide delegitimization of Israel.
- Board Member and Scholarship Director, St. Paul Blackhawks Soccer Club (2003-2010)
- Chair, Board of Directors, St. Anthony Park Community Foundation (2006-2008) (member 2000-2008)
- Named a Minnesota Super Lawyer for 2011 and 2012 by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business.
- Named a 2011 Attorney of the Year by Minnesota Lawyer.
- Named "2012 Minneapolis Lawyer of the Year for Environmental Litigation" by Best Lawyers®.
- Recipient of Stanley V. Kinyon Teaching Award for Excellence in Education as Adjunct Professor of the Year at University of Minnesota Law School, 2011.
- Named "2010 Minneapolis Lawyer of the Year for Environmental Law" by Best Lawyers®.
- Listed in Best Lawyers since 1999.
- Named one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers for 2010.
- Named a Super Lawyer by the Minnesota Journal of Law and Politics for environmental law every year since 1994.
Charles N. Nauen
Lockridge Grindal Nauen P.L.L.P.
100 Washington Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401-2159
University of Minnesota Law School, 1980, cum laude; Baylor University, 1976, cum laude.
1980, Minnesota; 1998, Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota; U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin; U.S. District Court, District of South Dakota, Northern Division; U.S. District Court, District of Colorado; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit; U.S. Supreme Court
Legal Administrative Assistant
Janet M. Treiber