Karen Hanson Riebel
Karen Hanson Riebel concentrates her practice in the areas of securities and antitrust litigation. She has litigated a number of complex class action matters and represented numerous pension funds and other institutional investors in cases involving corporate fraud.
Ms. Riebel spent seven months in Anchorage, Alaska, in 1994, as a member of the trial team that secured a jury verdict for punitive damages in the amount of $5 billion for a mandatory punitive damages class in In re The Exxon Valdez, Case No. A89-0095-CV (D. Alaska). For their efforts, Ms. Riebel and the other members of the trial team were awarded the Trial Lawyers’ For Public Justice Trial Lawyers of the Year award in 1994. Ms. Riebel also has been extensively involved in the processing of over 50,000 claims filed by class members in the litigation.
- In re Countrywide Financial Corporation Securities Litigation No. 07-CV-05295 (C.D. Cal.) — Securities class action which resulted in recovery of $624 million for plaintiffs.
- Kirk Dahl, et al., v. Bain Capital Partners, LLC, et al., (the Private Equity Antitrust Litigation) No. 07-CV-12388 (D. Mass.)
- In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litigation MDL No. 1720 (E.D. NY)
- In re Worldcom, Inc. Securities Litigation No. 02-CV-3288 (S.D. NY) — Securities class action which resulted in recovery of $6.13 billion for plaintiffs.
- In re AOL Time Warner Securities Litigation, MDL No. 1500 (S.D. NY) — Securities class action which resulted in recovery of $2.65 billion for plaintiffs.
- The Exxon Valdez Experience presented at Louisiana State Bar Association’s Gulf Coast Oil Spill Symposium, May 25, 2010 in New Orleans.
Ms. Riebel was recently elected as an officer of the National Association of Shareholder and Consumer Attorneys (NASCAT). She is also a member of the Federal Bar Association.
Karen Hanson Riebel
Lockridge Grindal Nauen P.L.L.P.
100 Washington Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401-2159
Boston University School of Law, 1991
Minnesota; U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota; Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals