University of Iowa College of Law, 2005, with high distinction, Order of the Coif
University of Iowa, 2005, M.S.
University of Iowa, 2001, B.A.
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Kristen Marttila practices primarily in the areas of antitrust, environmental and land use, business law, and health care law. She frequently serves as local counsel in a wide variety of matters, including intellectual property, consumer, and complex ERISA cases. Before joining the firm, Ms. Marttila was a litigation associate at Faegre & Benson, LLP, where she concentrated on administrative litigation and regulatory and environmental law. She clerked for the Honorable Patrick J. Schiltz in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Ms. Marttila is a three-time graduate of the University of Iowa. In 2005, she graduated from the University of Iowa College of Law with high distinction and was a member of the Order of the Coif. She was also awarded the Boyd Service Medallion for her public interest work. In law school, she was a symposium editor for the Journal of Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems and competed in the Jessup International Moot Court. She also earned her M.S. in urban and regional planning, with an emphasis in land-use and environmental planning, and a B.A. in English.
- In re EpiPen ERISA Litigation, No. 17-cv- 01884 (PAM/SER) (D. Minn.) (co-lead
- In re Generic Drug Pricing Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 2724 (E.D. Pa.)
- In re Broiler Chicken Antitrust Litigation, No. 16-CV-08637 (N.D. Ill.)
- In re Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 2311 (E.D. Mich.)
- Soderstrom et al v. MSP Crossroads et al., No. 16-cv- 00233 (ADM/KMM) (D. Minn.)
(co-lead counsel with Housing Justice Center in Fair Housing Act class action,
recovered $650,000, the largest settlement in a disparate impact case against a
private landlord nationwide)
- Precision Associates, Inc., et al. v. Panalpina World Transport (Holding) Ltd., et al. (JG/VVP) (E.D.N.Y.) (recovered more than $135 million to date)
- In re Potash Antitrust Litigation (II) (N.D. Ill.) (recovered $90 million)
- In re Wholesale Grocery Products Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 2090 (D. Minn.)
- Illlinois Farmers v. Mobile Diagnostic Imaging, Inc. et al., No. 13-CV-02820 (PJS/TNL) (D. Minn.) (won complete dismissal of 14-count complaint)
- Auto Club Insurance Association v. Healthy Living Chiropractic Clinic, PC et al., No. 27-CV-11-614 (Henn. County)
- State Farm v. Mobile Diagnostic Imaging, Inc. et al., No. 12-CV-1056 (DSD/JJG) (D. Minn.) (secured full summary judgment in favor of client)
- Co-presented “Understanding Service of Process: Get it Right the First Time” with Minnesota CLE, May 9, 2014.
- Wilderness Watch v. Halter, No. 15-CV-03734 (WMW/LIB) (D. Minn.)
- Izaak Walton League of America, Inc. et al. v. Tidwell et al., Case No. 06-CV-3357 (JRT/LIB) (D. Minn.), 516 F. Supp. 2d 975 (D. Minn. 2007), 516 F. Supp. 2d 982 (D. Minn. 2007), and 558 F.3d 751 (8th Cir. 2009)
- State by Duluth Preservation Alliance v. St. Louis County et al., No. 69DU-CV-091252 (St. Louis Cty. 2009)
- St. Croix Scenic Coalition v. City of St. Croix Falls et al., No. 05-CV-576 (Polk Cty. (WI) 2005)
- The U.S. Supreme Court Takes on the Timeliness of Later-Filed Class Actions, Perspectives In Antitrust, Feb. 2018, at 7
- Contributor, Antitrust Law Developments (Eighth) (American Bar Association) (2017)
- Towards A More Transparent Class Settlement: The Proposed Amendments To Rule 23 And The Effect Of Sealed Court Filings On Class Settlements, Perspectives In Antitrust, Oct. 2016, at 8
- Federal Practice Committee: New Federal and Local Rules on Civil Discovery, Bar Talk, May 26, 2016
- ACPERA – Emerging Guidance and New Questions, The Antitrust Lawyer, Spring 2015
- Contributor, Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments (American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law) for 2013, 2014, and 2015 editions
- Cold Comfort Pharmacy: Pharmacist Tort Liability for Conscientious Refusals to Dispense Emergency Contraception, 16 TEX. J.WOMEN & L. 149 (2007)
- Note: Environmental Justice and Indigenous Peoples in the United States: An International Human Rights Analysis, 15 TRANSNAT’L L. & CONTEMP. PROBS. 253 (2004)
- Federal Practice Committee of the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, member (January 2015 – December 2017)
- Merit Selection Panel for the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, member (2016)
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyer Advisory Panel to the Civil Practice and Procedure Committee of the Antitrust Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association, former Human Rights Committee Co-Chair
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- William McGee Civil Rights Moot Court Judge
- Named a Minnesota Rising Star from 2015-2018 by Super Lawyers®.
- Named a North Star Lawyer from 2014-2018 in recognition of pro bono work.
- Sierra Club North Star Achievement Award in recognition of service as Chapter Legal Chair (2007).
The Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) has recognized LGN attorneys Elizabeth Odette, Devona Wells, Kate Baxter-Kauf, Rick Linsk, Anna Horning [...]
Anna Horning Nygren and Brian Clark were re-elected to the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Antitrust Council at the Antitrust Section’s [...]
During the school year, nine LGN attorneys have served as Reader mentors to 7th and 8th Grade Student Writers at [...]
Kristen Marttila, a partner in LGN’s Antitrust practice group, published an article examining the class-action tolling issues raised in China [...]
Lockridge Grindal Nauen is proud to announce that Brian Clark and Kristen Marttila have been named partners at our firm. [...]