University of Minnesota Law School, 1979
Augsburg College, 1976, B.A., cum laude
U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Ted Grindal is the Partner in Charge of Lockridge Grindal Nauen’s (LGN) government relations practice. For over the past 30 years, he has led Minnesota’s largest and premiere government relations team with offices in Minnesota, North Dakota, and Washington, D.C. offering state government relations, federal government relations, local government relations, and communications and grassroots advocacy services to corporations, trade associations, municipalities, and non-profit organizations and associations.
Under Mr. Grindal’s leadership, LGN’s seasoned and politically-diverse government relations team has built its reputation for being knowledgeable, trustworthy, and politically savvy. He focuses on strong, long-term personal connections with lawmakers and staff and leverages those for a successful record in helping shape clients’ industry-specific objectives with government relations and public affairs strategies.
Mr. Grindal has been recognized as one of Minnesota’s top eight lobbyists by the Minneapolis Star Tribune and also named one of the 10 most influential lobbyists in Minnesota by Minneapolis-based CityPages. In addition, he has been honored by inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for health care law and has been named a “Super Lawyer” by the Minnesota Law & Politics for government relations for numerous years. He has been named by Minnesota Physician as one of Minnesota’s “100 Most Influential Health Care Leaders” several times. In 2016, he was named by Twin Cities Business Magazine as one of 100 “People to Know” in Minnesota.
Currently, Mr. Grindal belongs to the Minnesota Government Relations Council, the American Health Lawyers Association, and the American Society of Medical Association Counsel. He also served on the Board of Governors of the Minikahda Club from 2011 to 2014 and 2016 to 2019. Previously, he served on board of regents for Augsburg College, and chaired that board for two years. In addition, he served on the board of directors of the Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society and chaired the board for two years. Mr. Grindal has also served on the boards of the Minnesota Private College Council, Minnesota Center for Arts Education, the International Hearing Foundation, Prairie Lutheran Church Council, and the Norwegian American Historical Association.
After graduating from the University of Minnesota Law School, Mr. Grindal served in the Minnesota Attorney General’s office as a Special Assistant Attorney General before joining Lockridge Grindal Nauen. He lives in Minneapolis with his wife and has two grown sons.
- Principal lobbyist with passing of Freedom to Breathe Act (prohibiting smoking in public places, especially businesses and restaurants).
- Passage of a bill authorizing a new hospital in Maple Grove, Minnesota, resulting in a joint venture between Fairview and North Memorial hospitals.
- Lobbyist for tribal governments, including Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, on natural resources, health care and gaming issues.
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Health Law Section Presenter on numerous occasions.
- More Deficit, Further Challenges: 2010 Legislative Preview, Metro Doctors, March/April 2010, at 6 (with Nathaniel Mussell).
- Feeling the pain. A face-off on the health and human services budget, Minnesota Physician, Volume XXIII, No. 4, July 2009, at 1 (with Matt Schafer).
- In the red. All bets are off as the Minnesota Legislature faces a hulking deficit, Minnesota Physician, Volume XXII, No. 10, January 2009, at 1 (with Matt Schafer and Cristina Diaz).
- American Health Lawyers Association, MSBA (Health Law Section)
- American Society of Medical Association Counsel
- Minnesota Government Relations Council
- Named a Minnesota Super Lawyer for numerous years by Super Lawyers® and the Minnesota Journal of Law and Politics.
- Named one of Minnesota’s 100 Most Influential Health Care Leaders, according to Minnesota Physician, 1993 and 2004, 2006, 2008, 2012 and 2016.
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America according to The Best Lawyers in America 1993 – 1994 and 1995 – 1996.
- Named Augsburg University Distinguished Alumni (Awarded 2013)
On Thursday, April 9, the Federal Reserve took actions to provide up to $2.3 trillion in loans to support [...]
13 LGN Attorneys recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, including four of the state’s Top 100 MN Super Lawyers and four of the Top 50 MN Women Super Lawyers
Lockridge Grindal Nauen is proud to announce that thirteen of the firm’s attorneys were selected as 2019 [...]
Ted Grindal was one of 12 past presidents to commemorate the opening of The Minikahda Club's golf course Wednesday [...]
LGN partner Ted Grindal co-presented a CLE session at the annual meeting of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Health Law [...]
Ted Grindal concluded his term as Chair of the Board of Directors of the Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society by [...]
Lockridge Grindal Nauen is proud to announce that 16 of the firm’s attorneys were selected as 2017 Minnesota Super [...]