Kate Baxter-Kauf’s practice is concentrated in the firm’s data breach, antitrust law, business litigation, and securities litigation practice groups. She represents individuals, consumers, financial institutions and small businesses in litigation to protect their rights and, most often, the rights of the class members they seek to represent. Ms. Baxter-Kauf is a 2011 magna cum laude and Order of the Coif graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School. While in law school, she served as an Articles Editor for the Minnesota Law Review and interned with the Honorable Magistrate Judge Janie S. Mayeron of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Baxter-Kauf clerked for the Honorable Alan C. Page, the Honorable Helen M. Meyer, and the Honorable Christopher J. Dietzen, Associate Justices of the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Before law school, Ms. Baxter-Kauf was an award-winning coach of high school and college policy debate teams across the country and facilitated debate teams at Twin Cities urban middle and high schools. She coached the 2003 National Forensic League policy debate national champions.
- In re Arby’s Restaurant Group, Inc. Litigation, Case No. 1:17-mi-55555 (N.D. Ga.)
- IN RE: EQUIFAX, INC., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, Case No. 1:17-md-02800-TWT (N.D. Ga.)
- Veridian Credit Union v. Eddie Bauer LLC, Case 2:17-cv-00356-JLR (W.D. Wash.)
- Bellwether Community Credit Union v. Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., Case 1:17-cv-01102-WJM-SKC (D. Colo.)
- In re: Yahoo! Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2752 (N.D. Cal.)
- First Choice Federal Credit Union et al v. The Wendy’s Company et al, Civil No. 2:16-cv-00506 (W.D. Pa.)
- In re: Target Corporate Customer Data Breach Security Litigation, MDL No. 2522 (D. Minn.)
- In re: Supervalu, Inc., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2586 (D. Minn.)
- In re: The Home Depot, Inc., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2583 (N.D. Ga.)
- In re: Community Health Systems, Inc., Customer Security Data Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2595 (N.D. Ala.)
- Soderstrom et al v. MSP Crossroads Apartments LLC et al, Civil No. 16-cv-02784-SHM-dkv (W.D. Tenn.)
- Khoday v. Symantec Corp., Case No. 11-cv-180-JRT-TNL (D. Minn.)
- In re Medtronic, Inc. Shareholder Litigation, A15-0858 (Minn.)
- In re Regions Morgan Keegan Open-End Mutual Fund Litigation, Master File No. 2:07-cv-02784-SHM-dkv (W.D. Tenn)
- In re Wholesale Grocery Products Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 2090 (D. Minn.)
- Turnidge et al v. TruGreen Limited Partnership, Case No. 27-CV-14-14711 (Henn. Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- UrbanWorks Architecture LLC v. Hunt Associates et al, Nos. 27-CV-14-8415 & 27-CV-16-10241 (Henn. Cty. Dist. Ct.)
- 2016 Cyber Security Summit, Interactive Table Top Exercise on Preparing for and Reacting to Data Breach incidents (Counsel Panelist), Cyber Security Summit Minneapolis (October 11, 2016)
- 2011 J.D. Class Commencement Address, University of Minnesota Law School (May 14, 2011)
- Rising Professionals Symposium, Now That We’ve Found Standing, What Are We Gonna Do With It? What’s on the Horizon for Data Breach Litigation, 2019 Federal Bar Association (February 1, 2019)
- Great Bites in Brief, The Hennepin Lawyer (May/June 2017)
- The Value of a Clerkship, Minn. Lawyer JDs Rising (May 2013).
- Lean In: A Review for Young Lawyers, Minn. Lawyer JDs Rising (April 2013).
- Environmental Justice and the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, 20 N.Y.U. Environmental L.J. 99 (2012) (with Hari M. Osofsky, Bradley Hammer, Ann Mailander, Brett Mares, Amy Pikovsky, Andrew Whitney, & Laura Wilson).
- Breastfeeding in Custody Proceedings, 15 Rich. J.L. Pub. Int. 627 (2012).
- Sedona Working Group 11: Data Security and Privacy Liability
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association (Appellate Practice Section and Participant, Public Defender Appellate Pro Bono Project)
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers (Community Action & Advocacy Committee Member)
- National Association of Shareholder and Consumer Attorneys
- Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society
- Minnesota Mothers’ Attorney Association
- Named a Minnesota Rising Star from 2015-2019 by Super Lawyers®.
- Named an ‘Up & Coming Attorney’ by Minnesota Lawyer for 2016.
- Named a Top Lawyer Under 40 by Law360 in the area of Cybersecurity & Privacy for 2018.
- Named a ‘North Star Lawyer’ by the Minnesota State Bar Association for 2015-2018 in recognition of pro bono work.
- Minnesota Urban Debate League Advisory Board (Board Development Committee Chair)
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota Foundation Board of Directors (Treasurer)
- American Constitution Society
- Randolph Heights PTA (Past President)
- Macalester-Groveland Community Council (Elected At-Large Representative)
The Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) has recognized Stephanie Chen, Arielle Wagner, Kate Baxter-Kauf, Rachel Kitze Collins, [...]
13 LGN Attorneys recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, including four of the state’s Top 100 MN Super Lawyers and four of the Top 50 MN Women Super Lawyers
Lockridge Grindal Nauen is proud to announce that thirteen of the firm’s attorneys were selected as 2019 [...]
LGN was proud to sponsor the Minnesota Urban Debate League’s Mayors’ Challenge Tournament on June 4, 2019. The event featured [...]
LGN attorney Kate Baxter-Kauf was interviewed on a recent episode of Above the Law’s “The Jabot” podcast, which focuses on [...]
LGN Attorneys and Law Clerks volunteered as judges at the Minnesota Urban Debate League’s All-Conference Championship for the MNUDL’s Middle [...]
LGN attorney Kate Baxter-Kauf presented as part of the Federal Bar Association’s Rising Professionals Symposium last month. Her presentation, entitled [...]